Thursday, June 21, 2007

dilema wanita - part 2

What Ligo posted the other day.. made me think and what has been happening made me want to post dilema wanita .. my own.

My maid started working since Monday. Well not really Monday.. Tuesday cos she arrived almost 6pm. I brief her On the JOb for the past few days on what to do.. giving instruction as we go by. I had prepared 4 page rules and regulation plus schedule and things to remember.

Having her around gave me a sense of freedom to do more things I want and gave me more time to be my children. And I see them differently now. Like Umar, I appreciate him more now. I guess when he was struggling too when I was just me at home without a fulltime helper. He had his tantrums he's constant nos and the need for reasoning. And my constant struggle with my inner self for the house to be in order, that I am wasting time feeding Nuha when I should be multi tasking as much as possible.

The other day I asked him do you want me to work or stay at home. He said stay at home. I asked why he said bcs no1 will fetch me (when his bus comes). Come to think of it.. how did I survive during confinement.. during those times when my husband had to work and I had to go downstairs, totally unwell with Nuha in hand to fetch him. I did it.. and on Saturday Nuha will be 3mths old.

When we got married and had Umar, we told ourselves that we are not going to get a maid. That it will be family care at the most. Childcare or infantcare was fare from our minds. We felt sad for those parents who had to send their kids off to infantcare or childcare and we hope that they are well taken care of. We were terrified for those parents who had no options but entrust a maid to care for their children and household. We felt blessed for the choice that we had at that time.

Umar and me went to pasar this morning. And it's amazing. We had a wonderful time together.. at the pasar! and I was thinking to myself, this can't be bougtht. These are the moments which be replaced. And i won't get this if and when i work. The force of economy, personal desire to be better balance tipped against pure motherhood. Some camps told me that I should go all out to achieve what I want when the kids are younger.. like travelling and pursuing Masters.

Then comes in the maid.

We discussed my 4paged R&R. Towards the end of the discussion, she raised the issue of Sunday off. I said that for the next 3mths not yet. Let me learn to trust her. She was almost enraged. SHe got up from her seat. And Nuha was in her arms. Her reaction shocked me more than anything else. She started prancing back and forth like a lawyer. Putting forth her arguments and me putting up mine. She won't let in even. I said I'll think about it and give her an answer. Then another issue of December leave. She asked whether she will get compensated since she doesn't want to go back. I said no because I paid full fare for her trip.Then she said mite as well she go back and she kept repeating that and I said okay go and I maintained my ground. I guess she was hoping I would show a hint of desperation.

Upon discussion with hubby, he said let her have her Sunday off bcs we have too much at stake and we dont want to create tension with her.

Well the good thing was we could still talk after that R&R discussion. Well I started learning the pendinding verse.

18 comments:

.S.K. said...

Salam,

coz I read your entry sebelum tido semalam, this morning, termimpikan kengkawan skola kita, K.Lun, you were especially, trying to bring us all together... we were saying things like, alaaa kita may be terpisah dua,tiga tahun, tapi dah bersahabat 10 years... so, what's 2,3 years... have no idea why the dream came about...

also, this entry is a good documentation of a working singaporean mum's life in the decades after the 90s... someone may google in the fugure and found this to be a representative of life at this point of time in Singapore's history...
Wallahu'alam...

wassalam.

I_mshe said...

eza- if i may call u that :) .. thanks for the commentary... its reflective and intuitive. Thanks for making this entry a potential archive material of a Singapore Female Muslim Working Mother in a limbo. ahaks

cekmi said...

maybe life in sg demands all these hassles. but ur maid sounded so demanding and frightening. hope things will cool off sooner.

easy, mother..

I_mshe said...

Yeah Crkmi.. i donno whether i speak for other sg mothers.. or its just me.. we can't help with this struggle. and its pretty much talked abt in the newspaper everday ,,,,almost

lunacy said...

sharezaad, heehehe..hopefully in reality im like dat too:)

u noe, u can send ur maid back if she's like dat. urs is "experience maid" in sg ke? got any transfer case or whatever? careful k.. my colleague maid said it is true every maid coming will be given something as "pendinding" but depands how religious the maid also. i dun like the idea of giving maid off day. u noe the "thing" outside they may do.. and showing tantrum on her 1st day? nonsense!! wallahua'lam.

p/s: did u check her bag and her stuff?

:-) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
.S.K. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KetuaSelam said...

Salam,

which reminds me...
I also have a ketuaselam account...
lol...

I have a blog for that...lol...

wassalam...

KetuaSelam said...

Salam,

with apologies, the two deleted posts were mine... having trouble with my multiple accounts...

Was agreeing with K.Lun about the maid thingy and also talking about my usernames...
This username ada blog... lol...

Wassalam.
Shahrezaad, KetuaSelam

I_mshe said...

Salam all,

I appreciate your concerns. So far we have worked things out alhamdulillah. We (hubby & me) have decided to use the colonial advantage that we have (urgh! not really an honour to do this.. even tho me hubby is far from a colonial person) and had a chat with her again the next morning, last Friday. This time it was hubby who talked and asked her whether she understood the R&R. Hubby briefed her again and he stressed my role and how we are as a family. Hubby said that her Sunday off starts is July. She is clear of that. He told her if u want to leave after subuh also your business but be back at6:30 latest. No one may call the house and number not allowed to be given to anyone.

I think its her perception of hubby that made things better now. She works harder now. Usually after maghrib we all gather as a family and we leave her to rest. however she still continue to do housework. Sometimes up till 11pm.Even though I told her to rest and sleep. She conveyed her appreciation to me this morning saying that 'my budi' belum terbalas lagi. That I have been good to her. And she works independantly and is proactive. Alhamdulillah eventhough its scary initially but it has been okay thus far. So far she is only left with Nuha for 2hrs most. I have not thought her yet about caring for Nuha just making milk and her schedule. She fell sick last nite and I told her to sleep after maghrib. Today she woke up at 6am and cooked sambal goreng for my sis and family who just got back from UAE. Alhamdulillah. I hope this good work continues. Amin.

I_mshe said...

oh yeah. I did go thru her stuff. she is a transfer maid.. from hubby's friend who had her for 2yrs. They are leaving SG. No complain abt her so far.

And alhamdulillah she even mengaji. Insha Allah bertambah rahmat rumah ini. Anyway I realised that I prefer the 1 day privacy. I dont like bringing a maid when I go out its like carrying a heavy luggage especially when the environment is new to her. I brought her to compass point and ada slow sikit cos environment is new to her.. so macam ghairah. And I've always prefer going us just us family without the maid.

KetuaSelam said...

Salam,

Am glad to hear...
Alhamdulillah :)))

All the best in your jobsearch, too :)

Wassalam...

lunacy said...

ok glad things werk out well after the 2nd r&r. is she pretty? hehehe saje nak tahu.

btw, cool blog lah..

I_mshe said...

pretty eh? oklah. she is half my height and size. very small person. I think nuhais half her size when she carry her. thanks for the complement. Semalam malam mcm inspired nak tukar template... budak masih baru belajar.. belum expert lagiiii..

lunacy said...

ok wat is 897?

aqriz said...

i rasa, i belum qualified to have maid, kalau I kena situation to have one, alahai, tentu tiap hari breathe in, breathe out, before I talk to the maid.

my hubby cakap, i jenis tak leh nak wait, if suruh, itu jam kena buat. hehehe..tak pasal2, masuk paper --> abusing the maid.

tapi kan masyi, on serious note, can tell her, that she's under probation, so july no off? heheh

I_mshe said...

she knows that i can send her back anytime and i will not hesitate 2 do that if the case arise. tapi korang jgn panik.. i think this one is alhamdulillah. she helped me wif groceris tadi sampai melayang! i laughed at her. and she insist that i dont lift a finger 2 help her out. she thanked me again juz now that she does not feel stress working here.

Nutty said...

hi,i'm a stay at home mum...if u think when ur at home,u'll have more time wif the kids,that's not really true...cos u'd be all over the place...nak kemas rumah,basuh baju,masak,fetch the kids,etc...by the time u're done with the house work,u'd be burnt out....this is wat i experienced..or if u do spend time with the kids..towards the end of the day,u don't have time for yourself...so having a maid is a good option..