Thursday, January 19, 2006

Little Egrets - Bangau Kecil

The Little Egret is the smallest and most common egret in Singapore. Singapore receives a good concentration of these migrants during the winter (September-May). In February, just before they leave for their summer breeding sites, some may start to put on their beautiful breeding plumes (right). Little Egrets eat a wide variety of prey from fish, molluscs and worms to insects and even small mammals and birds. Little Egrets are the liveliest hunters among herons and egrets, with a wide variety of techniques. They may patiently stalk prey in shallow waters. Or stand on one leg and stir the mud with the other to scare up prey. Or better yet, stand on one leg and wave the other bright yellow foot over the water surface to lure aquatic prey into range.

Why Egrets? I have been wanting to share about my fixation with the little egrets. According to Nature Society the last count in 2004 was 127of them. They are in fact an endangered species.

I have been noticing these bangau since last 2-3yrs. I am fond at looking at them everytime I take my morning journey to work. They add a sense of nature against the facade that surrounds me. And I would miss them if I don't see them.

---------------------------------------

I've been munching non-stop since after my morning meeting.

1. Mee goreng

2. 4 pieces of kueh jepun

3. 2 siew mai

4. kuaci

5. kacang

6. milo chocolates.

No comments: